Translate

Friday, November 10, 2017

My Music Memories : Baker Street - Gary Rafferty

 
I don't know much about Gary Rafferty, for me, his hit Baker Street was just a 1 hit wonder, like so many others. 

Baker Street is a song that is sweet and sour at the same time. 
Softly sang by Gary, but the raw sax and furious violins give the listener a slap in the face before he could take a nap. 

On top of this, all the guitar solo battling the sax is magnificent. 

The song Bakerstreet came from his album "City to City" and especially for this post I listened to other songs and checked some background info about Gary Rafferty. 
Seems his drinking problem got him in the end, 
after releasing 9 albums.  

Maybe you know Gerry Rafferty also from him previous band Steeler Wheel "Stuck In The Middle With You", before he went solo. 
Anyway, I listen to "City to City", "Night Owl" and "Snakes and Ladders" and it was really ear-candy for me. 

Very smooth with enough moments to keep you awake.  
It's pop music with a capital P at its best. 

I want to call it Lounge-Pop music. So if you are still interested, go to YouTube or AllMusic and start your own Gerry Rafferty adventure.

 
Years later the group Undercover added a simple housebeat to the song and scored a hit.
While listening I found a lost Gary Rafferty classic "Get It Right Next Time" I remember vague on Night Owl
And a lovely ballad Right Done The Line also from City to City.

Note: Baker Street sounds a bit like The Year of the Cat of Al Stewart only more aggressive by the saxophone riff, did you find the resemblances between the 2 songs?

No comments:

Post a Comment