Translate

Saturday, May 26, 2018

My Music Memories : Hit Me With Your Rhyme-stick - Ian Dury and the Blockheads

When I was at primary school, Ian Dury was for a short time very popular. 

His first hit "Sex and Drugs and Rock n Roll" was sung by everybody in the translation "Koek and drop and Milky-Way". 



But his 2nd hit with the "Rythme-stick" was even better, and I still like it. 


It's funky, funny and everyone likes to shout HIT ME ! with Ian. 
If some white guys trying to be funky, then this is should be the result. 
The blockheads play like crazy and with the stoïcijns Ian at the front talk-singing 
his crazy lyrics, it's magic. 


Because of these Ian Dury hits, I bought much later the MSX version of Deus Ex Machina, but that's another story 
I already posted. 

After 2 hits I never heard anything from Ian Dury...
Years and years later I bought some kind of greatest hits album of Ian Dury, a bad buy.

All songs even those the other ones with the Blockheads, were just songs you listen to in an empty bar, easy to forget and not worthy to listen to it twice ( well maybe not: Reasons To Be Cheerful part 3 )

Examples: 
- Wake up and make love to me
- Sueperman's Big Sister
- Billericay Dickie
- I Wanna Be Straight
- What A Waste




 
These are just more avant-garde then funky, just not catchy enough. 
No surprise, these titles were no hits in the Netherlands. 
He did want he wanted to do, no concessions in lyrics or music. And no more hits.

But every time I hear "Hit Me" I just smile, turn up the volume and shout "HIT ME !!!" 

Sorry, here are a couple remixes that can compete with the original (sorry Paul Hardcastle).

No comments:

Post a Comment