Translate

Friday, February 19, 2016

My Music Memories : Blue Monday of New Order

When I though about I Dont Like Mondays of the Boomtown Rats,  another song about Mondays popped up. 

Yes, everybody likes a version of
Blue Monday, I like the original too. 
It got me interested in dance music for
the first time.
The synthesizer bass with computer drums, some real instruments and semi monotone singing...
I realise now it sounded like early Underground techno. 

Back then it was a song like nothing else it wasn't even a real single, it was only available as 12" ! 

So instead of let's say 4 minutes, New Order took almost double time to finish and I liked every minute of it. 

I found a documentaire about Blue Monday with short interviews with old members of
New Order, the story about the too expensive cover, how 4 different songs were used to create it, the (mis)programming of the song, the Top of the Pops failure and much more...

The song was remixed by dozen of so called DJs and also very populair in the computer scene and yes, I found a sample of Bue Monday in the MSX-2 Warp demo made by John vd Poelgeest.
But I will tell more about it in another post.

So I will leave you with 2 well known coverversions of Blue Monday in very different styles.
Flunk and Orgy and the rest doesnt matter, trust me...


No comments:

Post a Comment