Translate

Saturday, May 14, 2016

Bit Trip Complete (Mad Mix)

Finally the return of Mixmeister TnC. This time not another MSX Moonblaster Housemix, but a mix of music from the game Bit Trip Complete (Wii version). Or to be exact a mix made from the Bit Trip Soundtrack Sampler Audio CD that was included with the (2nd hand) Wii game. For those who don't  know Bit Trip Complete are a collection of 6 games you have to play following the rhythm of the music. The games itself are variations of classics like Pong, but there is also a nice platformer (Bit Trip Runner), dot eating game like agar.io (Bit Trip Void) and an oldschool rail shooter (Bit Trip Fate).

I played a free demo of Bit Trip Beat once via Wii Store Channel, but the game seems a little boring so I never bought the whole game. But recently I found the game and 5 others in a store Game Mania. It was called Bit Trip Complete and had also an Audio CD, so I bought it without any doubt .

After playing the games I listen to the Audio CD and was a bit disappointed by the music, yes, it was amazing sometimes and sometimes incredibly boring. I decided to put the best parts together in 1 mix so I didn't have to listen to the Audio CD again.

Why it's called Mad Mix ?
My son told me he played all his favorite music on YouTube at 1.25x speed even the newest ones from Monstercat. I thought it was a good idea so I speed up all Bit Trip tracks of the Audio CD to 1.25 and the results were better than I expected.
I didn't know the tracks that well and I decided to let Mixmeister mix on BPM, start slow, speed up the BPM to the max and cooling down to the end of the mix.
These are the 2 reasons I called this one Mad Mix.

I finished the mix in maybe 8 hours (including converting/cutting/speedup audio tracks and smoothing the mix output) and it was quite a long mix of more than 23 minutes.
I had some bad experiences with creating playlists on Mixcloud (it doesn't allow you to use more than 3 or 4 tracks of the same Artist) and this mix was Bit Trip material only !!!
I decided to upload it to YouTube instead, cause tracklist is not necessary and I couldn't find any good Bit Trip (re) mix.

Well I hate to watch more than 5 minutes of the same picture and 23 minutes of my mix should be a torture. I got the idea of creating a video with random clips of the games from Bit Trip Complete during the playing of the Mad Mix.

That was a real bad idea, after I recorded plenty of videos with gameplay I let the video editor split the videos into scenes and speed up every scene to 1.3, cause 1.25 was not available. It took an enormous amount of time to generate it. Then I tried to choose no duplicate scenes during the 23 min, tough job cause I had more Mad Mix than the total duration of all the used scenes. On top of that the video editor cutted  he music off when it was out of scenes. But it got worse when during producing the video the editor stopped working and when it was produced had the wrong video format to add the music to it.

I almost gave up the idea of putting it on YouTube, but after I moved my project to a bigger and faster computer I finally could save the whole thing and upload it.

There is another story to tell about how I recorded the gameplay videos, maybe another time. I can tell you one thing: Dolphin emulator, an Xbox controller and a screencapture running from a USB external harddisk is not the best way to create gameplay videos...

Here is the YouTube link for the Mad Mix

No comments:

Post a Comment