Translate

Friday, February 2, 2018

MSX Highlights : MSX Diskmagazines

In the Netherlands, we MSX-ers had several MSX magazines with reviews, listings, and software on tapes or disks. However, as the goes by, MSX magazines disappeared from the magazine stores and subscriptions were canceled after a while. 

But many MSX groups filled that gap and released countless magazines on disk. Of course, the idea was stolen from Compile with their Disc Stations, but when BCF released a couple of their own Disc Stations, with demos, games and lots of stuff to read, every MSX club made their own Magazine on disk, some had multiple. To name a few Dutch Disk Magazines:

- BCF Disc Station
- Dragon Disk
- Quasar
- Genic Clubguide
- Sunrise Magazine 
- Future Disk
- Golden Power Disk
- Paradise
- Near Dark
- ROM
- Track
- D.I.S.K.
- MCCA  Infodisk



It was a great way to be more famous in MSX land, get some money and release small programs that nobody would buy if they had to sell it separately. For me it was a great way to know about the newest MSX software, see some demos and play some minigames.  

A couple of personal notes about some disk magazines:
* I was a great fan of the Golden Power Disk (always a yellow disc), sadly the stopped all sudden. 
* I had a subscription on Sunrise Magazine ( there was also a Sunrise Picture disk but my budget was not high enough to have both. 
* Later when the Sunrise Magazine stopped I got a subscription on the Future Disk, which kept going when almost every other MSX disk magazine had stopped. 
* As EMP-Soft we send a disk full of music files and some demos to MCCA Infodisk, when they ask for MSX software to put on their Infodisk. I checked and they put some of them on Infodisk 6/7/8/9.

At MSX.ORG they kept a decent collection of Dutch disk magazines, but there was so much more. My own collection is not that big, I only bought most of those disks on MSX fairs. 
And not every magazine was worth to subscribe. On MSX fairs I always wanted more to buy than just disk magazines, like music demos, new games, and utilities or new hardware. 


Anyway, most of these disks were made for MSX-2 computers, cause they were most common in the Netherlands,  so there was not much stuff made for MSX-2+ and Turbo-R. For this post, I will put my collection of some obscure Dutch disk magazines in 1 big zip file as a surprise package.

I hope you have fun with this collection even if most of the texts are all in Dutch. Mediafire / Pcloud 

For me, it was a real MSX Highlight, after nobody wanted to publish anything about MSX. The MSX scene itself stood up and created their own MSX magazines.

No comments:

Post a Comment