Translate

Thursday, July 30, 2015

Failures of MSX: slow cassettes

In the begin years of MSX  most programs were on cartridge or cassettes/tapes.
Cartridges were expensive, cassettes were (normally) cheaper.

And of course most of the time you did not have any choice, so you had to buy it on tape.
So when I bought my VG8235 MSX-2 computer with diskdrive, I had to buy a datarecorder if I wanted to buy some MSX software.
That should not be a problem, but the loading and saving speed of MSX datarecorder were
1200 or 2400 baud, still very slow.
It costs me almost 15 minutes to start up "Oh Shit" from a tape, while my nephews with a Commodore 64 had turbo loaders and play one game after another...

So sometimes I bought a original MSX game on tape and search on MSX BBSes with my MSX modem for a cracked version, so I could play it on disk.

Later on I got so sick of the loading times, I never bought any MSX game on tape and used my datarecorder only for recording Wordstrore+ samples...

No comments:

Post a Comment