Translate

Friday, December 9, 2016

Xmas 2016: The MSX-1 Xmas demo I searched for a long time

I was busy thinking about Xmas and this blog and to me there is not enough Xmas demo's in the MSX-scene. You have to count the snowfalls and open fire demo's to it to get some.
Every year there should be new MSX Xmas demo's made, just to let everybody know MSX is still alive.

Well my search for MSX Xmas demo's brought me to the MCM archive to number 35 with some open fire listings in it,
I browsed through the pages of the PDF and there it was !!!

The listing I was searching for year after year !
I guess I missed it in my MSX disk-collection, cause it had such a common name, KERST (the Dutch word for XMAS).

In the same issue there was a Christmas song called WEWISH and the author of the magazine wrote that it would be nice if WEWISH put together with KERST to get a nice MSX-1 Xmas demo with animation and music.
That was a good idea, so I thought about it a lot and came with a solution that was not perfect, but does the job.

I noticed the animation could use some more speed and playing music at the same time, would ruin the animation completly. So I inserted the music between the animated screens.

Every demo has an intro which has its name and makers in it, this demo hadn't.
Real shame, cause I liked the little animations a lot. Again I thought hard and wrote in a notebook how it should look like, with (of course) a little animation.

My drawing skills are not that good and SCREEN 2 colorspill doesn't help a lot, but I created an intro that I think fits the demo very well.
Finally I changed also the name of the demo from KERST(WENS) to XMASWISH.BAS, so you will see the differences between the original and my modified version.

If you think you are waiting too long, you can press 1 key to go to the next part.
There is an intro and 3 other parts, so it's a short demo.

I also uploaded a video of the XMASWISH demo to YouTube to show that even in MSX-1 Basic you can make a Xmas demo with some animation.
You can see it here.

You can download the XMASWISH listing at: Mediafire / Pcloud

More Christmas posts are on its way, so watch out !

No comments:

Post a Comment