Translate

Friday, April 22, 2016

My music memories : Speak To Me of Galactic Cowboys

I liked King's X sometimes, but I liked Galactic Cowboys more. At least their first album.
"Galactic Cowboys" go where KIng's X stopped, it's something like The Eagles goes Metal or the Beach Boys meet Hard Rock. I think you know what I mean by now. 

Their album was full of great songs, some more uptempo, some fun, some ballads. "Speak To Me" is the last track of the album and the longest. It presents the style of Galactic Cowboys at it's best, it started as a acoustic ballad, then a heavy metal jam, then a power ballad. The crazy ending is typical for the group. You can hear the band had great fun while recording it. 

After such a strong debut, it's hard to make it sound better. 
I bought "Space In Your Face" blindly and they tried to copy the debut, without the fun, catchy refreins it was a waste of my money and time to listen to it. 

So let's talk about more songs on the debut, I found a videoclip of "I'm  Not Amused", one of the heavier songs and of course someone put almost every song on YouTube, listen to power ballads like "My School" and "Why Can't You Believe In Me". 

They even played as "Sons of Thunder" in the 1994 movie "Airheads"  but couldn't find any videoproof of it on the net. The Galactic Cowboys did also some covers, like "Junior's Farm" of Wings (Paul McCartney) but like the Steve Miller cover, the original is better and seems for Galactic Cowboys just a way to get more airplay and be famous. Well, that didn't work out and they split. 

I leave you with an old live concert where they perform some songs of the debut album. If I look back they were just another group with one good album. And yes, bandmembers were religious, but not a Christian rockband.

No comments:

Post a Comment