Translate

Saturday, October 28, 2017

Fan of Robert Palmer

Its strange.  I never guessed I would create a post about Robert Palmer,  cause I was never a big fan of his music.

I bought his Addictions 1 and 2, but that was it. No Greatest hits or best of. However when I found out "I Dream Of Wires" was a cover of Gary Numan song I knew I had to post about Robert Palmer.

He died in 2003 and had a lot of hits in the 70s / 80s and 90s.
To name a few Best of Both Worlds, Looking For Clues, Some Kinda People, Addicted to Love and much much more.

He wasnt a great singer, but sings how the song must sound like.

I was suprised when I listened to both Addictions how many songs I already knew and and how many of the other  songs
I could add to my fav songs ever.

Including the cover I Dream Of Wires.
Sorry Gary, Robert Palmer is a better singer than you. Robert made a more smoothened version so more people could enjoy it.

I tries very hard to find any Robert Palmer music, besides the live performances
( if the band is good, Robert Palmer is good, else not)  and a few videoclips of his greatest hits. So I tried my luck on Vimeo, even lesser than YT.

I am no very sorry I sold my 2 Addictions, I am planning to buy them somewhere again. Or even maybe a Best Of. After his career as popartist he switched over to a new one , with a big orchestra singjng jazzy things, yeah not my cup of tea. I will remember Robert Palmer for his great sing-along songs in different genres like pop, rock, reggae and was never afraid the be a bit experimental.

Here are some artists that really know how to play Robert Palmer songs:
Tina Turner 
The Heavytones
Los Cenzontles
Robert Palmer

No suprise, Robert Palmer is the best performer of his own songs.
And despite all the coverbands playing Addicted to Love, there are very few artists who done a Robert Palmer cover, which is (to my opinion) a real shame.

Last but least: Robert Palmer did cover some songs from The Beatles, even a very strange version of Drive my car as a duet with a Japanese girl.


No comments:

Post a Comment