Translate

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Failures of MSX: Color spill on screen 2

On wiki I found an very interesting article about the color spill on ZX Spectrum and MSX-1.
It even explained why we had so much MSX games with the English desease.

Anyway I hate the color spill on MSX-1, I was glad I bought an MSX-2, so I didnt have to
deal with it. But when I tried to write MSX-1 programs with SCREEN 2, it made me crazy to
get the text in the right color and the graphics not edged instead of blurred (see picture 1).
 Oke, the picture on the left seems to have its charms but if you want to draw circle with color A and it is partial color B, or worse square instead of round, I prefer picture 2 on the right much more.
There are ways to avoid the color spill, but mainly the solution is: less colors and less gfx. Well...

Why MSX-1 had 15 colors, if you cant use them the way you want it ?
Maybe the same question: why ASCII added SCREEN 3 to the MSX-1 ?
I guess I never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment