Translate

Saturday, May 2, 2015

Failures of MSX: HD diskettes

I started my MSX life with a Philips VG8235 with the single sided floppy-drive.
And I really liked it, cause it was so much easier and faster to save and load files
then with data-cassettes.
The limitation of 112 files was no problem, cause 360 Kb is not that much space.
On my NMS8245 with double-sided floppy-drive I got sometimes 112 files on a 720 Kb disk and 360 Kb free space I could not use.
That was really a waist of space, cause 720 Kb disks were not so cheap on that moment.
When everybody was exited by the new MSX-DOS 2 with the use of subsirectories and harddisk IDE-interfaces, I had my broken double-sided floppydrive replaced with a HD PC floppydrive.
I had no money for an harddisk IDE-inferface or any PC harddisk and making subdirectories on a 720 Kb floppy was not so usefully, most of the time 720 Kb was not enough space.


Then came the moment that the 720 Kb disks were hard to get.
However nobody came with the idea to make MSX ready for ready HD disks with a piece
of hardware so we could storage more on a MSX-disk.
No instead, we had to cover the extra hole with a sticker and format all the 1,2Mb disks
to 720Kb, almost half the storage.

What a joke !


No comments:

Post a Comment