Translate

Saturday, May 2, 2015

Highlights of MSX: FM-Pac

I had to say it, most of the music in MSX games made by PSG, could not compete with the ones in Commodore 64 and its SID musicfiles.

Even worse, some of the greatest PSG music in MSX games were conversions of the Commodore 64 originals !
Yes, I mean those Benn conversions of Gremlin Graphics...

In MSX-Basic it was possible to create music with 2 different methodes, it was still not easy to create drumsounds or different instruments.

Then the Panasonic FM-Pac came on the Dutch market.

I bought it from Time-Soft, a computerstore in Amsterdam (who sold also lots
of imported MSX-stuff from Japan, but not cheap).

The package included the FM-Pac of course, an A4 printed (on red paper) list of
commands and some marketing "blabla", a MSX-disk full of music (and demo's )
of winners of a Time-Soft Fm-Pac contest, and a MSX-disk with the first Dutch FM-Pac demo,
with stolen music and pictures of other Japanese stuff.

After I listened to the disks I started an Japenese game I got from my MSX partner
in EMP-Soft and I was speechless by the sounds of the intro-demo.
I think it was the game Aleste I  from Compile.

I made asap an appointment with him and that afternoon we tried to find all games
that had MSX-Music (as it was called).

I think that FM-Pac finally made it possible to make and listen to great music on every
MSX computer and not only those MSX-2+ with the strange signs on the keys.
And maybe it kept the MSX scene alive for 3 or 4 years longer.

Later I sold my FM-Pac to my EMP-Soft partner and bought me a cheaper Zemina FM-Ship,
cause I didn't use the Pac part (for save games), like he did.

FM-Pac (or must I say MSX-Music) was a MSX feature, nobody wanted to miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment