Translate

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Failures of MSX: poke -1,170

I think this failure has something to do with "the English disease failure".

When I started with my MSX-2 computer I bought also an MSX data-recorder,
cause at that time all MSX-games were on cartridge or tape.
At school I met a guy, who gave me some games to start with.
To my horror non of these games seemed to work on my MSX-2 computer.
Whattahell was going on, MSX-1 software should run on any MSX-2 computer !

As usual I was wrong.
There were MSX-1 software that only run on 32K RAM or 64K RAM computers
or just not on Philips MSX-2 computers or Sony MSX-2 computers etc etc.

But as always there was a solution for running most MSX-1 software on MSX-2 computers, the magic poke -1,170.
I think it was for Sony MSX-2 computer different.

Still some original MSX-1 games were so poorly programmed that only cracked versions worked on MSX-2 computers.

So sometimes I bought the original game and tried to download an cracked version
that worked on my MSX-2.
Yeah yeah, MSX world standard did exist (but only in the minds of ASCII and Microsoft).

No comments:

Post a Comment