Translate

Saturday, March 5, 2016

MSX demo: Metal Demo II by MUP '90

I said it before, personal the ZZ-Top demo was for me the first MSX demo ever that had some sort of hard rock / metal, so I called it Metal demo I. And when I created a lot of metal samples 
I used the name Metal Demo II as some kind of followup for this ZZ-Top demo.

There are 5 things in this Metal Demo II that are different from other MSX demo's  in the year 1990:

1) The scroller text in Dutch language (most Dutchies tried to 
be famous international and used some kind of English)
2) You could turn the sound off (very rare in most demo's)
3) Graphics were completly in SCREEN 8 (most demo's used SCREEN 5, to have more screens)
4) The used sample was from a real Heavy Metal band (and not taken from any Synthesizer Greatest or some Disco record)
5) No greetings (it's true, really, watch the end of the scroll text)

But ofcouse this demo has also some things that were very common in other demo's from that year, like interactive scroll texts, hidden keys and everywhere copyrights of who made the demo.
Btw: MUP stand for Mr. Ugly Productions, a very strange name, but it described exactly how I felt at that time.

I mentioned it before, I made in total 3 disks full of samples of Heavy Metal band for the Music Module, but all from Christian rockbands. At that time I liked hardrock and heavy metal, 
but didnt like the lyrics about loving Satan and how long 
they all could satisfy any women. 
So I had a collection of so called White Metal and I sampled some.

The sample you hear in the Metal II demo is from the song Steel Killer, the instrumental part at the end (from 06:33). The band is called Saint (which logo is seen in the demo, if you know the secret key). I liked and still like the band Saint and the album Time's End, which includes the song Steel Killer. The singer Josh Kramer sounded like the singer of Judas Priest and the heavy unpolished guitarsound is still a treat for my ears.

I will explain more about Saint in another post.
Meanwhile you can download the demo at Gavitex and Mediafire.
I was too lazy to upload it in LZH form, sorry.



No comments:

Post a Comment