Translate

Sunday, August 21, 2016

TnC Collected Works: The Turbo Basic Demo Disk side A and B

On a big computer fair in the Netherlands I bought from Sparrowsoft a disk with 2 A4 manual. It was called KUN compiler that could speed up MSX Basic programs a lot.
Of course it was not true, it could only speed up some Basic commands and only on a MSX-2 or higher.
Well, that was not true, but the KUN compiler worked on MSX-2 screens a lot faster.

When I started to use it I had to rewrite the programs to get no errors and collected my findings in 1 textdocument while creating Turbo Basic versions of all kinds of small graphical Basic demo's.
 
As you know an 720 Kb disk can only held 112 files,
so soon I had more and the disk was still not full.
I decided to use FLIP.COM a nice program which allows you to use both FAT tables, to store almost 224 filed. Looking at all demo's I had to admit there are some different versions
of the same demo.


I am still proud of the tricks and tips I collect during my own adventures with Turbo Basic.

Yes it is confusing story, I bought the KUN compiler on disk, but later I found out it was original sold on cartridge, so maybe I bought legally an illegale copy from Sparrowsoft.

And all programs made for the KUN compiler (like the examples I got on my KUN disk) had the extension .TRB, which was short for Turbo Basic a more common name for the KUN compiler.
Even more confusing some MSX-ers called Turbo Basic compiler XBASIC.


I am not sure how many products in the Dutch MSX scene were made with a little help of Turbo Basic, cause programming in assembler was much cooler than (Turbo) Basic so less MSX-ers mentioned they used it.

Have fun with the simple GFX demo's. Why this post in MSX Failures and MSX Highlights ?

It's a kind of failure cause there are so many commands
it cannot speed up, it's a kind of highlight, cause when it can speed up you get amazing results and is MSX-2 Basic not so slow anymore.


Side A (with English menu and English Tips): Gavitex  / Mediafire
Side B (with Dutch menu and Dutch Tricks): Gavitex / Mediafire

NB 1: Please note: both side A and B have totally different
         programs !!!
NB 2: Cause Side A had 112 files there was no room to
         auto-start it, you have to run MENU-A.BAS in MSX-DOS
        (see screenshot).
NB 3: Of course I didnt create all these demo's in the menu's
         and listings I tried to preserve the original creator
         or publisher.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment