Translate

Sunday, January 14, 2018

Impossible Objects ( the MSX part)


First, the MSX disk was called Optical Illusions, changing the name to Impossible Objects was a logical step, cause all the collected demos were mostly Impossible Objects instead lots of different genres of Optical Illusions.   

Also, most of the Impossible Objects were not real Escher's, more inspired by. 
The disk is for MSX-2 and higher and most impressive demo is ESCHERS (option 5), which is completely written in MSX-Basic without loading any pictures showing a lot of beautiful Impossible Objects.
When I tested the disk for the last time, before uploading it to Mediafire and Pcloud,  I noticed that to pictures was damaged after crunching it ( without picture crunching I would be able to show maybe 8 pictures a disk ). The crunching was done a long time ago by myself with the first (and worst) program I could find, COMPRESS. 

I search all my disks for the original pictures, no luck. Then I tried to save the damaged pictures in regular BLOAD,S format, my VideoGraphics kept complaining about the file format. So I made a screenshot in my BlueMSX emulator of the damaged pictures and tried to fix the missing GFX in the pictures with good-old Microsoft Paint. One picture was so badly damaged I had to improvise. 

After that I converted the repaired screenshots in the online MSX conversor to MSX SCREEN 8, then I had to compress these and put the new versions on disk. Yes, you see very clearly the differences between the undamaged and the repaired pictures (also in size). 
I could try harder to repair it with other MSX drawing program, but for me, it's wasting time. 

Warning, when choosing option 1-4, it's better to reset your MSX computer after you watched it. Most of the time the ML-code for the crunchers prevents other crunchers 
to start up.
 
I included the MSX crunchers  I used, COMPRESS.BAS and PICRUNCH.BAS.
As described above, stay away from COMPRESS.

I learned something the hard way NEVER COPY FILES IN MSX-BASIC. Always use 
MSX-DOS instead. I got a lot of corrupted pictures are copying to another disk with the COPY command in MSX-BASIC.

Have fun with the disk.

No comments:

Post a Comment