Translate

Sunday, January 14, 2018

PSG Tracker videos

I was searching for Eschers on in my collection MSX disks and MCCM CD-Roms, 
when I found a disk called PSGTRCKR. As a regular user of FAC Soundtracker, Moonblaster and PRO Tracker I was of course very curious what a PSG Tracker would look like and what the possibilies were. I have not many music-editors for PSG that are more than a 3-tones organ.

PSG Tracker started with a nice logo in SCREEN 5, but after loading, the editor showed only 40 columns!!! Why create a MSX -2 logo and use only 40 columns of a MSX-1? 
But more trouble to come. There was only an incomplete manual inside the editor, 
no separate manual as txtfile and only 1 demo song . A converted Impact song. 

Well, the layout look a bit like Moonblaster and just like Moonblaster is PSG Tracker capable to convert a FAC Soundtracker music-files. Not the drumtrack (OH NO !!) and only 3 channels of the regular 6. I didnt test the conversion with every FAC Soundtracker version, but the editor had some nice features ( remember last input, easy delete), worked very fast and then I discovered the SELECT button I could change some more settings. 

I did expertments with PSG drums, which was not so easy to create. If you have only 3 channels sound, the PSG drums will collide with one of them.  


After I puzzled how the editor worked I converted my first song of Ernst Schuller ofUnicorn Corporation, "Shizo-Frequency". Its more a loop than a song, but I liked it so much 
I converted the original FM-Basic listing into a FAC Soundtracker musicfile and now into PSG Tracker. Choosing the right 3 channels was not so difficult, the PSG drums took a lot of time, cause I did not know how to copy part of tracks and I tried to make the song less boring by experimenting with different drum-riffs. 
When I finishing it I liked the result so much I recorded it and send it to YouTube. 

After convertIng my first FAC Soundtracker song I wanted to do more, 1 song of all the great MSX groups that used FAC Soundtracker, 1x Impact, 1x Unicorn Corporation, 1x FAC. 
-Sorry if I missed other MSX groups -
So I was looking for a nice song of the FAC, some kind of ballad. I found "Basic Principles" but editing the drumtrack in almost 80 tracks was no fun. Also the song swapped channels, so after converting 3 channels some part had only a bassline in PSG Tracker. 
I edited the song, so every channel was in use during the whole song and I noticed that the editor had no feature to create different PSG voices, every voice sounded the same if the same octave was used. Pity, I was going to like the program. 
I finished the song put it to YouTube. 



Then what? I had put so many hours in Basic Principles I had no strength left to convert another one. Maybe a song of TwinSoft ? There was another important feature missing in PSG Tracker, a MSX Basic replayer. Now you cannot use PSG Tracker songs in your own Basic programs,  like other music editors can.
I put a question in the MSX.org forum, but if seemed the original maker lost all sources 
and documentation. I don't think I get a proper answer from anyone.

If you want to try it, here is the zip with 2 disks, 1 program disk and 1 music disk. 
You have to switch disks, cause PSG TRACKER only works with 1 drive.

MEDIAFIRE PCLOUD  ( beware dont save on your programdisk it's copyprotected).


No comments:

Post a Comment