Translate

Friday, March 2, 2018

112 MSX Basic games presents : MIDGET-G.GAM (60)

Finally, the 60th game. I am more than half way the my list. Still 59 to go. 
I really wanted to release the next episode of the 112 MSX Basic games disk edition 
112 til 60, cause it's a kinda milestone and although I like the serie very much, 
it is sometimes very hard to improve the game with the ideas I have. 
My programming skills are limited and from time to time I stepped over the border 
and had to take steps back to be able to save and release the game. 
This means, some ideas would not be realised and some would become simpler than 
the original idea. 

For example: for SQUARES.GAM I wanted a 2 player mode, but it was too hard to manage and for GRAVYARD.GAM I wanted to update the scores with the difficulty level, however it was very fuzzy how the score worked ( and when you go to the next level ) so now you wont get extra points when playing on higher difficulty.  

Let's talk about MIDGET-G.GAM, a midgetgolf game in true MSX Basic. 
Again a listing from the MSX-Gids magazine, also a very good one. 
The Pro's  are: good soundeffects, great layout with scores, fast generated holes.  
The Con's are: just 7 holes, no highscore, hole 7 is nearly impossible, no manual. 

I added a highscore, a manual and a retry function, but I didnt know what to do with hole 7, so I leave it this way. Maybe you find the noise of the ball collision annoying, I prefer it above no sound at all. I have seen more golf games in MSX Basic, but this was the best I could find, even if it had only 7 holes, instead of the normal 18. Well, hole 7 will keep you occupied for quite some time, so I think the (unknown) creator had made a good choice to make no more holes than 7. 
 
The highscore is 2000 and it will be easy to improve that 
( if you manage to get the ball in hole 7, har har ). 
Just a tip, if you had chosen too many strength, then shoot the ball in the oposite direction, the results will suprise you. 

I know there are too many golf games made for MSX 
(by Konami, HAL, Pack-In-Video, etc ), but this game 
doesnt try to copy them.
It's a simple midgetgolf game, with a good playability. 
Hint: Watch where the dot is, and you know what to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment