Translate

Friday, March 30, 2018

More Wordstore+ Picture Demo: Reception - Wings

This is already the 3rd Picture Demo I post about.

Reception was the first song of the Back To the Egg album of Wings.
It's a short instrumental, which should have been a great intro for
a funky song. Maybe with even a rappin' Paul in it ?
But no, lucky for us it was edited, cause the long version I found
was more boring than the original.


Did they just record a radio playing in the background ?

There is not much to talk about Reception, the song, so I continue
with my thoughts about the Back To the Egg album.

Back To The Egg was the last Wings album I bought, and it was almost
my favorite album of Paul McCartney and Wings.
But that was before I heard songs like After The Ball, Million Miles,
Love Awake, Winter Rose, and The Broadcast.

Those songs should be perfect on McCartney II, not on a Wings group album.
It seems to me that Paul had not enough songs to record with Wings.
So side 1 "Sunny Side up" was okay, side 2 "Over easy" was a big disappontment.

In some songs Paul sang like he was yelling the whole night before.
Listening at the songs, I can help that some of them are just leftovers
or just other versions of the songs from London Town.

Later I found out Paul was smoking during the recording period.
It sounds good when he have to rock, but when it's a ballad he sounds a bit off-tune.

My favorite songs were Spin It On, Old Siam Sir, Rockestra Theme, To You,
So Glad To See You Here, still not enough to like the whole album.

I found an interesting interview with Laurence Juber, ex-Wings guitarist,
who was playing on most recording of Wings in the period.

No comments:

Post a Comment