Translate

Thursday, March 1, 2018

112 MSX Basic Games : GRAVYARD.GAM (62)


The Dutch title was "Het Verlaten Kerkhof" and was published by the MSX Gids magazine, the creator was not mentioned in the listing. I translated the title into "The Lost Graveyard", cause it seemed to me the best translation. 
At first, I had not much too do than translate a few words and change some colors. 
I was convinced the game was self-explaining and everybody would notice its just a different kind of Pacman, collect "grass" and "gravestones"  and get chased by 3 ghosts. 
But there was more to do, there were 5 different yards, 
lamps to remove more grass. I only found these out,
when I looked closely at the listing. 

So I had to add a manual and the controls, cause the whole game checked only the cursor keys. I add the level number to the play screen so you can see which level you are playing. 

Then, there was the difficulty level. The 3 ghosts are chasing you with the same speed as you can move, it seems impossible to clear a level with the 3 lives you get. 

First I change the gravestones into some kind of powerups, they reset the ghosts to the start positions. It was not enough. 
I added some kind difficulty you can choose, easy with 1 ghost, normal with 2 ghosts and hard with 3 ghosts. It might work for the best so you will be able to see more levels. 
Then I changed a little more, the play screen is created slowly with some sound effects, after you lose a life the play screen will be created again and again. 
It annoyed me so much I remove the recreation of the play screen, the level will be complete when you can escape to the right.

Hope you have fun with, I think, the 3rd Pacman clone in my 112 MSX Basic games list. 

And I am proud to present it to you. Get it on Mediafire or Pcloud, or wait till game 60 is released. Then I will upload the 112 MSX Basic games disk 112 till 60.

No comments:

Post a Comment