Translate

Saturday, December 9, 2017

112 MSX Basic Games presents: HAL.GAM (69)

Yes, yes, it's another listing from MSX Computer Magazine, that famous Dutch MSX magazine. I only picked up the game, cause it's one of the very few platform games, completely made in MSX Basic without any machine-code and still have enough speed to let enemies and player move without any delay. Most action type games made in MSX Basic are struggling with the delay, especially platform games. 

It was big fun to translate (took me half an hour) and to play. If I remember correctly I only changed the default controls to cursor keys, that would be it.

HAL.GAM is a very big MSX Basic program, so most MSX computers with disk drives will have to reset with CTRL pressed to have enough Basic memory left, to run it (1 drive).

And it takes some time to generate the SCREEN 1 graphics and sprites. It's worth the waiting, I can tell you. The game has also it's only Demo Mode, I never saw that in any other MSX Basic game. Watch it for some tips. Of course, it looks like other commercial platform games, like Manic Miner, but it looks good, it plays well. I don't complain, I just want HAL.GAM in my 112 MSX Basic Games.

HAL is a Dutch initials for "Heel Apart Labyrinth", in English it is (I think) "Very Odd Labyrinth", but I don't want to ruin the nice title screen, so now it's still called HAL.

I hope you will make it to the exit, it's not that easy.


Mediafire / Pcloud

No comments:

Post a Comment