Translate

Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Xmas 2017: Antartic Adventure vs Andre Rieu

There are just a few minutes left for Xmas before we must go on doing or regular businesses.
But I had to try to post this before the 27th of December. Let me try to explain the strange title first. 

"Antartic Adventure" is a famous Konami game made for MSX and a couple of other home-computers. 
You are a penguin racing around the South Pole and stopping at every station of different countries. 

It was the first game I ever played on my new MSX-2 
(a Philips VG 8325). I had to say it was an illegal copy on tape. I bought my MSX-2 computer also an MSX modem, an MSX joystick and an MSX tape-recorder (all Philips), cause at that time all MSX games where cartridges or tapes and never on disk. 
 
I wasn't good at "Antartic Adventure" and never made it till stage 10, I enjoyed the gameplay and of course the music.The music Konami used was "The Skater's Waltz" of Émile Waldteufel.

 
Why I got this idea for a las Xmas post? I watched Andre Rieu, a famous Dutch orchestra leader, and his Xmas concert at The Royal Albert Hall. The first song his orchestra played was: "The Skater's Waltz". And I remembered playing "Antartic Adventures" on my MSX-2.

It's great to see how just a piece of music can trigger some memories, good or bad. In this example very Xmas like.


Check out who Andre Rieu is and his music. Then see this playthrough of "Antartic Adventure" the MSX Konami game.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment