Translate

Sunday, December 3, 2017

112 MSX Basic Games presents: BREAKMAN.GAM (72)

I had my doubts if I should include this game to my 112 MSX Basic Games. Not because it has some machine code (it has none), it's a Pacman clone. And I mentioned earlier I would not include any Pacman, Viper or Breakout clones in this list. The reason I changed my mind as I had already included some kind of Pacman, when I released Crazy Ghost (CRAZY-G.GAM), number 93. 

Just like CRAZY-G.GAM is BREAKMAN.GAM a very different Pacman cone. 
First: the "Pacman" is just a normal human. Second: the only enemy is a big robot (instead of ghosts). Here begins the trouble, the robot moves with the same speed as the player, while breaking through any walls of the level. This is not only necessary to slow down the robot, but also to get to some places with dots, that are locked in by walls.

I can assure you, a high score above 1000 points is easy, but completing level 1 is very difficult, even if you have 3 lives. I played this game in the past and recently, I always was out of lives in level 2. 
Are you any better? Do you?

Now download the game to prove it: Mediafire Pcloud
 This game is how a real MSX Basic game should look like, it has a:
- game story/manual
- intro screen
- choice of controller  
- high score table with names
- fast game-play
- original game-play

 The translation was easy, I translated the manual into English.
It was a prize winner of a competition of a famous Dutch MSX magazine (MCM).

Yeah, A. Reitsma of Enschede made a perfect MSX Basic game.

No comments:

Post a Comment