Translate

Monday, September 27, 2021

TnC Internet Adventures: UGA Mod Collection

I was browsing in an CD portfolio full of early multimedia CD-Roms and DVDs I had bought or got for free somehow. 

Back in the 90s multimedia means, pictures, sounds, musics, short 3D animations and short (home-) movies. It was before everybody had fast enough internet to download it yourself. So lots of "companies" sold CD-(later DVD-)Roms with all kinds of multimedia stuff, to make some money. 

 I like all kind of pictures, 3D animation, sounds (samples) and MOD music, maybe the first compressed musicformat before everybody used mp3 or simulair compressing like ogg, etc.
And I bought a couple so called "mutlimedia" cd-roms. You had to be carefull no to buy duplicates, cause those "companies" sold with different names the same stuff.

Recently I just choose the first multimedia cd-rom I could find, "Multmedia Select ?"  and started browsing, cause the whole menu structure was MS-Dos, but without any menu and just a bunch of players. Most of the stuff was not worth the trouble, all pictures were ripped from electronic BBS sites complete with their adverts (yes, it was years before "the big 3w"), most animations last less then 5 seconds, half of the videos were from a fly show in brown-and-white and clipped sound, etc. etc. But the MOD collection was nicely ordered alfabeticly and enough to keep you listening for a couple of hours. 

I tried my fav player WinAmp, but it crashed on some MODs, so I used VLC Player instead,
with very nice results. You can speed up the music, but only in big steps. Step 1 is fine, 2 steps is too much.

After listining to favs like Wild Thing, Columbia, Wasteland, Tech House, Gods 
I wondered if my collection of tapes with MOD files, from the UGA Media Productions was still around somewhere on the net. Well, they have still a website, but most of the Dutch stuff is not there anymore and it seems forgotten, mostly cd-roms with pictures are for sale.

I found in the archive.org a couple of the earliest UGA Software Production, called Newsflash CD-Rom Issue 1. Maybe the first multi-media magazine ever. I had bought some Newflashes, mostly for the VGA demos and (MOD) music.

Now I seemed to have made 11 D90 tapes full of MODs, but after recording I never listened to them again, cause the sound was awfull. When I started recording, I had an old 386-PC, which was not fast enough to play the MODs without interruptions. I had to decrease the sample rate to 22 Mhz and disable a noisefilter to get the MODs playing on my PC.

I wrote all titles on the tapes, I wonder if I can find them all back on the net.

There were 2 amiga archives with mods that have lots of titles, but the titles on the tapes were handwritten and it were filenames makes it hard to find the right one. Sonetimes I had to listen to 8 versions to find the right one.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment