Translate

Sunday, September 26, 2021

TnC Mixes: Red 5 Minimix

When I was trying to finish the post about "I Love You...Stop!" I wonder if anyone had made a mix of Red 5 songs and upload it to YT. If you have read that post you know the answer.
So I got the idea to make a simple mix of the 3 songs I did like from Red 5, "Da Beat Goes", "I Love You...Stop!" and "For This World".

I ripped the audio from some "official music video's" of YT and started my mix-program.
As usual, things go not the way you planned. The idea was to start off with  "F T W" ( a bit mellow), then "I L Y S" to be more uplifting and a big finish with "D B G". However that order of the songs could not be mixed nicely, even if I changed the BPM of the songs to match the fastest song. So the order became "D BG", "I L Y S" and "F T W". Well, that was not a problem, most of my MSX Moonblaster Mixes had some kind of mellow/lounge end.


So I already changed the BPM and the order of the songs and still the mix was far from finished. I let my mix program decide to match the beat (same BPM) to create smooth transitions. It matched the BPM, it was horrible to listen too. I started listening to every song from the beginning until the end and started trimming. "D B G" needed less trimming, but when I was finished with "I L Y S", it lasted no longer than 01:12 of a song 03:47 and "F T W" was after trimming more than 1 minute shorter. 

Then I added my old friend 'cross-fade' to the mix, instead of any 'beat-mix xx', things were going to sound better. I mixed down the whole project and started to think about the video.
Well, first I listened to the mix and was not happy with the very short version of "I L Y S" in the mix, it was a TnC House Classics, never the less. Again, mix-program trimmed a 1-minute longer version of "I L Y S", mixed the whole thing again. Now I had 2 versions of the same mix, named "short" and "long version" and no clue which one to use in the video for YT. A couple of listens later I go for the short version. 

Did I already mention the speed-up to 115% I used in both versions (after mixing)?
It did miracles for the whole mix, sounded fresher and less boring (which is the worst of my fears when I am mixing). Still, something was missing, so I fooled around with all kind of effects. By accident, I used echo and made the mix completely out of sync. However...I like how the echo sound changes the drumbeats. I split the stereo track into left and right, added a very low (0.1) echo to 1 of the channels, mixed it down as a stereo track and...

Yep, the mix is ready for the video. Mmm, not exactly, the bass in the whole mix was a bit underrated. I decided to crank it up with any effect I could use. In the end, I got the best results from the compressor effect, not any equalizer preset. 
( after I finished the video I listened to whole thing and the compessor made it sound like a cärhifi system with closed doors...so I removed the compressor effect to get less bass but more cleaner sound )

Yes, we gonna make a video now. I liked the shark pictures Red 5 used for "I L Y S" sleeves for the (maxi-)single, so I used them for the opening and credits of the video. Finding a nice character set was easily done, but trying to match the Red 5 colors of the pictures was not an easy task. I ended up with red and pink, these looked not to bad.

For the video I had the idea to divide the screen into 3 parts (like the 3 songs I used), play only the music-video of the audio, while to other 2 only showing a picture of the start of the video. For this, I had to cut the music-video into the length of the audio part. Cause I had trimmed every song and speed-up it was impossible to sync the video with the audio. 

Well, if you want to see the musicvideo's, you have to look somewhere else.

Next problem was I could not find how to put the music-video into my minimix video, without playing any sound. I had already converted music-video parts without audio, when I found the right switch in the video-editor. 
Because the screen was divided into 3 parts, it's not easy to see, which music-video belongs to which song title. I show the song title just at the beginning of the song.

Maybe I get problems with copyrights and stuff, we will see.
I have uploaded the short and long version to SoundCloud so you can decide which one is better. Don't expect me to upload a video with the long version.
I am done and move over to my next project.

Soundcloud: Red 5 Minimix Short version
Soundcloud: Red 5 Minimix Long version

Youtube: Red 5 Minimix (MixMeister TnC)

BTW Mixcloud did not allow any file less than 12 Mb, so I uploaded to Soundcloud instead.
What a ...  rule.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment